Thursday, June 30, 2005

Chennai to Mumbai via Bangalore

At last my two year tryst with Chennai is coming to an end. For a generation in a hurry two year is hell of a longg time. (My freinds even teased me that i would stand for local elections). Now i am not claiming that i have tapped into the soul of this city. Apart from visting its beaches, multiplex theatres, shopping malls, and a number of restaurants i havent even tried to understand the city.

But two years is sufficient time to get a perspective, so let me lay out what i think of this city. Apart from bad weather, extremely ill behaved autowallahs, ubiquitous stinking smell that consumes the air, lack of night life and terrible shortage of basic necessities of life like water and good looking chics, i kinda liked the city. Now dont get me wrong i am one of the banglorenas to endure chennai for two years, most of my collegues and freinds couldnt stand this place for two months. So when i say i liked the city despite those flaws, i have my reasons.

I like cities which have a sense of tradition and history attached to them. Even an outsider can make that out about chennai. The place kind of vibrates with tradition, and its people both young and old respect its history. I havent been to Kolkatta to compare both cities, but being a banglorean i cherish this. Banaglore alas has completely lost it. In its all compassing embrace of cosmopoliton culture , Banaglore is going the Delhi way, to being a kind of bastard city. Younger generation care two hoots about this and is extremely worrying.

My next destination is Mumbai, of which i have heard and seen so much that i cant wait to expereince it. More will follow once i land there

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home